Eligibility & Benefits
To qualify for Studio membership, a portfolio review is not required. Applicants should meet basic criteria of a professional artist as defined by the Canada Council as well as provide an outline for a Value Exchange proposal. The Applicant:
· has specialized training in the artistic field (not necessarily in academic institutions)
· is recognized as a professional by his or her peers (artists working in the same artistic tradition)
· is committed to devoting time to artistic activity, and if possible financially
· has a history of public presentation or publication
· or been in an artist collective active for at least two years
Studio spaces are at least 15.7m square (approximately 4m x 4m) per rental. Collectives (2-5 Artists maximum) must take out two spaces. The Studios are open concept spaces, and artists are responsible for their own materials and security of items onsite.
Studio rental includes*
- 24 hour studio access
- Open rental studio space
- Natural LED flood light, north facing peripheral windows and skylights
- Some spaces have a wall or a window. Artists are allowed to provide own easels or non-obstructive partitions
- Casual seating area, communal work table and kitchenette
- Priority acceptance for use of Gallery
- Freight elevator
- Rental storage locker in basement
- Communal wash station
- Daytime access to woodworking space [safety training required]
- Free 24 hour access to the safe spray/fume room
- Artist profile page on the Exchange website
- Free Museum Theatre rental to provide workshops or lectures, max 5 hours per year, some restrictions apply
- Reduced Museum Theatre and Market Hall rentals
- Free Wi-Fi
- Hotdesk rental space includes access to all facilities above except open rental studio space. Hotdesk Artists may make use of the communal work table
* 3+ month memberships. Short term availability is on a first come first served basis, limited by availability, and will require a standard application.
· No fee for Exchange Studio Artists, other than a security deposit
· No fee for artwork sold in Gallery shows
· Non-Member Niagara Artists may apply to rent Gallery for $250 for 1 month
· Bi-annual application reviews for gallery allocation
· Shows are 4 weeks long – includes hang and take down
· Artists hang and strike their own work
· Opening events are expected, run by the displaying Artist(s)
· Access begins and ends on Mondays at 1pm
· Hanging system supplied, no nails or marks allowed on the walls
· The Gallery is open to members of the public for exhibition purposes during regular opening hours, art openings and Exchange events
· Video screen available for promotional info in Gallery hallway
· The Gallery will be locked after hours
· City staff is on premises however the Gallery space is not staffed
· Security equipment is located throughout the Exchange
· The Exchange is not responsible for theft on the property
· Located in the Studio Building, 2nd storey
· Gallery Size 44 linear feet ( 17’ x 11’)
· Artists is responsible for own insurance
Users must complete the safety training before given full access to the woodworking studio. All Studio Artists must sign off on the Liability Waiver and read the Woodworking Safety Manual.
Artists will be required to purchase general liability insurance through the City. Typically this will cost around $20. What is not included is artwork/personal items, and this may be included in Artists’ standard tenant or household insurance.
WHAT ABOUT SHORT TERM RENTALS/VISITING ARTISTS
Short term, one month, workspaces are available on a first come first served basis, limited by availability at the time requested. Artists wishing to either rent a short-term studio or hotdesk must submit their request at least a month in advance.
Artists looking for one month rental must complete the standard studio application forms.