The Artista Gallery is a white cube space located on the second floor near the artist studios.
This space is open during normal operating hours of the Exchange and artists in the community are encouraged to exhibit and hold regular openings for their works. Priority will be given to the artists who are studio members. It is programmed on a monthly basis with a selection process every 6 months.
The gallery has a hanging system installed in the space. It is approximately 17' x 11'- 44 linear feet. Video screen outside of gallery may be included.
Please contact the Exchange for applying to utilize this space.
Hours of Operation
Monday ClosedTuesday 10 am - 5 pm Wednesday 10 am - 5 pm Thursday 10 am - 9 pm Friday 10 am - 5 pm Saturday 10 am - 5 pm Sunday 10 am - 5 pm
· Studio Artists must be in good standing.
· The art works in a members open show must not have been previously shown in The Gallery. The art works in a solo or collective show may include up to two pieces that have been previously shown.
· The art works must be original, based on the artists’ own images or imagination.
· The artist must follow the guidelines for displaying and hanging art works.
· Ninety percent of art work must be for sale.
· The artist agrees to leave all art works for the duration of the show except those pieces sold to out-of-town patrons.
· The artist or group will prepare a press release with photographs, City Staff will help distribute promotional material.
· Artists must hang the show themselves, after a tutorial from City Staff.
· City staff will provide printed title cards for each work of art.
The fee for a Collective or Solo show is free for Artists of the Exchange Studios and $250 for non-tenants. Exchange tenants can receive up to one show per 2 year cycle. A $100 deposit confirms the show in the bi-annual schedule, with the balance for non-members payable five weeks prior to the show. There will be no commission taken from any exhibiting Artists.
A. Displaying Art Works
The following points describe how to prepare various kinds of art works for display.
Wall-hung paintings, photographs, limited edition prints and fabric art
· No nails or any marks are to be made to the Gallery walls.
· All art works must be framed or suitably prepared for hanging. No clip frames allowed.
· For art mounted on foam core, please use specialized aluminum clips available from framing supply outlets.
· Metal wire securely attached to the sides of the back of frame and arching 2 1\2 inches to 3 inches from the centre top, (up to 4 inches for larger works), to facilitate hanging apparatus.
· Frames and matting must be clean and in good condition.
· Wrapped canvases must be painted on the sides with no staples showing.
· Oil paintings must be dry and odour free.
· For open shows and large group shows, the size limit for art works is 24 x 36 inches or 864 square inches framed.
· For collective and solo shows, there is no size limit for art works, provided there is sufficient space.
· Sculptures, ceramics and fabric art
· Must be stable and not require supports.
· Acceptable, provided the print reproduced is an original painting or photograph created by the artist.
B. Installing a Show
· A solo artist or collective must hang their own show. Discussions with City Staff prior are required.
· Title list to be supplied 1 week prior to hanging of show to create info tags. No late entries will be accepted after the list of titles has been submitted.
C. Preparing a Press Release
· Prepared by the artist, with a length of maximum 350 words.
· Content to include name of the artist or group, the show title and description, dates of the show, date and time of the reception.
· For a collective or solo artist show, provide an artist statement, sources of artistic inspiration, and other relevant information.
· If an established group, provide information about the group’s history and what sparks their artistic endeavours.
· Include four photographs of artworks that will be in the show.
· Artists may provide a link to a video Artists Statement for promotional purposes.
· Email the press release and photographs to City Staff a minimum of one week before opening.
D. Holding a Reception
The artist or group is required to host a reception, in conjunction with their art show.
Receptions are held during operating hours. Timing will be finalized with City staff.
All receptions must meet proper food and alcohol requirements. The artist should work with the Cafe to arrange any food or drink.