Wilma L. Morrison Arts & Culture Wall Of Fame
Wilma L. Morrison
For many years this Niagara Falls citizen of black ancestry has given extensively of her time, energy and talents to create
awareness and appreciation of the contributions made by the many black pioneers and residents of Niagara’s history.
In particular, Wilma was instrumental in establishing a local collection of historical documents and memorabilia in the
Norval F. Johnson Memorial Library (N.F.J. Library), located next to the British Methodist Episcopal Church (circa 1836),
on Peer Street. In addition, she worked diligently to organize the Freedom Trail Tours of the Niagara Region, regularly
assuming the role of hostess to give tours of the BME church and the NFJ Library.
When the B.M.E. Church was in desperate need of repairs, Wilma, along with several other church members, was
influential in raising funds for its restoration.
Wilma continues to be an active member of many local heritage, culture and community affairs organizations. She has
worked tirelessly with the Niagara Catholic & District School Boards to help educate young people in our local black
history. In addition, her extensive knowledge has been invaluable in the development of the exhibits and programming
for the Niagara Falls Board of Museums.
Wilma L. Morrison has been recognized extensively on both sides of the border, as well as provincially, for her
volunteerism, and her diligence in preserving the black heritage in the Niagara Region.